Buying local is a growing trend and a significant opportunity for small town small businesses.
Food-borne illnesses have made headlines from huge commercial production and from imported foods. Local food producers of all kinds should capitalize on this opportunity. Jack Schultz, Boomtown USA, gave local food two spots on his Agurban top ten trends for 2007. And he continues to talk about this opportunity for local foods.
Other local products
Lead tainted paint, safety problems, and environmental issues have created another local opportunity for all types of products. Chris Penn, Financial Aid Podcast, has been meditating on local products, and he’s not alone. Steven E. Streight, Vaspers, has been ranting against China imports and in favor of local sourcing. They are just two people, but they are from completely different parts of the country. They represent a way of thinking that exists right now in your market.
Evaluate your marketing. Are you promoting the heck out of your “localness”? It’s time to start.
Be more local. Don’t hide your local flavor, your accent, all the things that make you, your company and your product feel local. Flaunt it!
Promote the environmental benefit. Buying local products reduces the transportation costs to the environment.
Promote your local advantages: high quality local workforce, safety procedures, and strict standards. For once, be glad of the regulations you must comply with.
Part of surviving in a small town small business is competing with the world. This is one trend that gives you an advantage. Use it!
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021