Lots of small town small businesses rely on good signs. Tourist-focused business, for example, depend on clear and effective signs. But look around your small town and you’ll see lots of really bad signs!
That brings up lots of questions for us. How do you design a good sign? How big should the typeface be? What color combinations are most readable?
The New York State Small Business Development Center worked with the International Sign Association (ISA) to create a free online resource on signs. It’s called What’s Your Signage?
Besides answering those questions about design, the site also shows examples of common small business signs and labels them with the industry names. That way you know whether you want to talk about channel letters or a pylon.
Darrin Conroy, with the SBDC, said:
If you owned a business, would you want something that:
- worked day and night as an instrumental marketing tool, including weekends and holidays, for less than $20 a day?
- can help boost your sales in the first year by 10% to 100%?
- could attract new customers, brand your business identity, and create impulse shoppers in your community?
Of course you would. That’s what the right sign can do for your clients.
For additional information on “What’s Your Signage?” (the book or the website) contact Darrin Conroy.
And thanks to Jeanne (OkieJ) for contributing this item. She can’t type much right now, so I posted this for her.
[Photo by Becky: The sign for Sage and Saddle Bed and Breakfast, Freedom, Oklahoma.]
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022