Time for more rural entrepreneurship news headlines!
One Governor puts his budget money into rural broadband
South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford “included $2 million in his executive budget to help provide high-speed Internet access to areas, such as Allendale, through direct and matching grants.” Island Packet Online.
And, from New York, The Ithica Journal profiles rural broadband, talking about the alternatives of wireless, cable access, and cell service. Don’t miss the reader comments at the end of the story!
Entrepreneur training and technology center in one project
Combining entrepreneur training with access to technology in one location makes great sense. We’ve read about many such centers, all over. This one happens to be in Uganda. “Six District Business Information Centres will provide rural businesses and those who operate them with integrated solutions, instruction in technology and entrepreneurial skills, and Internet access.” UN News Centre.
Cities are faring better than rural areas
Well, thanks for pointing that out. Agri News. I had trouble with this link. Let me know if you get through!
Rural resurgence ahead?
On the other hand, “there’s a potential resurgence ahead for rural regions with adequate public/private investment in high-speed communications, regional airports and the availability of urban-level cultural amenities.”
This is an excellent article, including the three factors driving the rural hub cities. BusinessNorth.
The next rural vs. urban fight? Cell phone users paying Universal Service Fees
The USF is supposed to support bringing telephone landline service to rural areas and through difficult geography. This press release says it’s outdated, wasteful and a windfall to big telcos. I saw this press release in my local paper, and here it is on California’s 10 News site.
Free advice for rural businesses in the UK
You can help set up an event like this in your area. Jeanne and I did it, three times!
“The Leicestershire Rural Business Advice Fair will bring together over twenty specialist agencies including Environmental Agency, Business Link, ADAS, Acorus, Lantra, Leicestershire Fire & Rescue Services, Leicestershire Constabulary, Clockwise Credit Union Service and Leicester CAN to offer free advice, support and grants available.” Media-Newswire.
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021