According to the Global Entrepreneruship Monitor in London:
Women are driving enterprise in the rural economy and are almost twice as likely to set up their own businesses as those living in towns….
“This isn’t just about baking pies and selling them,” said Rebecca Harding, executive director of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor. “It is about solving rural problems and plugging the gaps in the market that have arisen through the decline of the rural economy.”
Meanwhile, our friend from New Zealand Natalie Ferguson is talking about Why Women and Mean Do Business Differently. Ferguson shares a real-life story most women will understand:
I will always remember Tim and my first visit to our accountant, where he sat in front of both of us and said “make sure you get a trust [legal agreement] because you can never trust girlfriends”. Did it matter that I was Tim’s business partner (or for that matter that I was there)? No. Because girls are girlfriends first and business people second.
While some men cheer women on, support women’s efforts, and applaud women’s successes, some men are still stuck actively opposing women in leadership. And in my area, the majority are (more or less) silently disapproving of at least some of women’s roles.
But here’s my point: without women, your whole small town economy would be sunk. You need us as enterpreneurs, managers, leaders, and workers whether you like that fact or not.
And for you supportive men who think this is an overreaction for no reason, I promise you that women still face basic discrimination all the time. Really. Natalie’s story is NOT an aberration. And it is twice as bad in rural areas.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021