Two posts came together this week. Steve Pavlina outlines 10 Stupid Mistakes Made by the Newly Self-Employed, and Justin’s Blog shares What I learned from my startup. It’s not enough to make mistakes, we have to learn, too.
Steve’s mistake list is long. He breaks it up with his own perspective and stories. Of course, not all of it applies to any one start up, but some of it is deadly accurate.
This advice is geared towards small business owners, particularly people who are just starting (or about to start) their own business.
1. Selling to the wrong people.
2. Spending too much money.
3. Spending too little money.
4. Putting on a fake front.
5. Assuming a signed contract will be honored.
6. Going against your intuition.
7. Being too formal.
8. Sacrificing your personality quirks.
9. Failing to focus on value creation.
10. Failing to optimize.
Read the whole article, 10 Stupid Mistakes Made by the Newly Self-Employed, for more detail on each item.
Justin is a new entrepreneur, turning a new eye on his startup.
I wish someone had told me these things ten months ago.
- Don’t hire/co-found-with your friends just because they are your friends.
- Things take longer than you think. A lot longer.
- You’d better be able to get along with your co-founders.
- Start simple, then go complex.
- Don’t forget to have fun.
Read the whole thing, What I learned from my startup.
small biz rural entrepreneurship mistakes business startup
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
NICE STUFF AND WEBSITE DESIGN
I TOO HAVE A SIMILAR BLOG