Cascade Supply, Inc., in Concrete, Washington, is the “You name it – We got it” store. They aren’t kidding. There is more packed into this downtown store than you could ever imagine. If you love a good hardware store or lumber yard, this place is a piece of heaven.
|Cascade Supply Lumber and Builders Supply. The locals know where Skiyou is.|
|They aren’t kidding about
“You name it, we got it.”
The owner, Don, told me that a customer may come wanting three things. If he doesn’t have any one of them, the customer is just as likely to leave empty handed, knowing they have to make a trip to the big box store half an hour away. While I was there four people came in with varied requests, and Don met them all. That’s how you survive in a small town.
Since he’s owned the store for less than a decade, he’s still something of a newcomer in town, or so he says.
|Don is the owner,
and knows where everything is.
Being in the Cascade Range, fishing and hunting and camping are big around here. Don supplies them all, including the firearms. After a rare break-in, they’ve had to move the guns into a safe. They did keep the rock the thief used to smash the window, though. And they still sell ammo, too.
I found about four things I’d been looking for, but didn’t have room in my carry-on to take any of them home. Next time, I’ll have Don ship it for me. He said he would.
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020