Cascade Supply, Inc., in Concrete, Washington, is the “You name it – We got it” store. They aren’t kidding. There is more packed into this downtown store than you could ever imagine. If you love a good hardware store or lumber yard, this place is a piece of heaven.
|Cascade Supply Lumber and Builders Supply. The locals know where Skiyou is.|
|They aren’t kidding about
“You name it, we got it.”
The owner, Don, told me that a customer may come wanting three things. If he doesn’t have any one of them, the customer is just as likely to leave empty handed, knowing they have to make a trip to the big box store half an hour away. While I was there four people came in with varied requests, and Don met them all. That’s how you survive in a small town.
Since he’s owned the store for less than a decade, he’s still something of a newcomer in town, or so he says.
|Don is the owner,
and knows where everything is.
Being in the Cascade Range, fishing and hunting and camping are big around here. Don supplies them all, including the firearms. After a rare break-in, they’ve had to move the guns into a safe. They did keep the rock the thief used to smash the window, though. And they still sell ammo, too.
I found about four things I’d been looking for, but didn’t have room in my carry-on to take any of them home. Next time, I’ll have Don ship it for me. He said he would.
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020