What industries make up the Oklahoma economy? Where are most of the jobs?
@Stargardener asked, and @DeidreDMyers of the Oklahoma Department of Commerce came to the rescue.
2008 Gross Domestic Product for Oklahoma
- Mining 14% (Oil and Gas included)
- Manufacturing 11%
- Real estate 8%
- Health Care and Social Asst 6.8%
- Retail trade 6.7%
2009 Jobs by Sector in Oklahoma
- Retail trade 10%
- Health care and social asst 9.7%
- Manufacturing 6.8%
- Accommodation and food service 6.5%
Myers pointed out that Government leads both categories in Oklahoma, with a GDP % of 15.7 and jobs % of 16.5. Remember that Government includes federal, state, local, military, and the tribal nations.
UPDATE: Myers emailed me the charts that go with this data.Click the images for the larger view.
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
Joan Vasquez says
I looked at the charts. I was wondering what is included under “information?” Would that include media and internet services?
Becky McCray says
Joan, I don’t know. You might look at the Oklahoma Department of Commerce site for more info, since they provided the stats.
Joan Vasquez says
Thanks Becky! I cannot tell you how excited I am that the Get Social events are being planned in this area! I am about 20 mins. West of Tulsa so I could attend at either Tulsa or OKC. :)