Another rural advantage, from reader Ellen Davis:
Don’t know if you agree, but I find the best thing about being in a small town is the trust that people have for one another. Here’s a short story to illustrate.. after working in the tech support field in Denver for 10 years, fighting the traffic, noise and smog, I moved to Cheyenne in 2006. This past April, I took the entrepreneurial plunge and started my own computer support business. Last week, I won a contract with the Wyoming State Bar to provide their network and computer support. Now, understand that this organization serves the entire state of Wyoming. They gave me the keys to their building and sole custody of all their computers, on basically just a signed piece of paper and a handshake. I LOVE that people here do business like that.. it feels so good to be trusted and to trust them. I am determined to do a stellar job for them.
I’m glad to find your website, and see that you and your contributors talk about customers as people instead of marketing targets. As was mentioned in one of Jon’s blog post, I truly believe that love and care are as important in business relationships as they are in personal connections. Caring about and connecting with people really does make a difference in the world, no matter where you are or what you are doing. Kudos to you all.
We’re collecting rural and small town advantages, here. What would you add?
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021