Another rural advantage, from reader Ellen Davis:
Don’t know if you agree, but I find the best thing about being in a small town is the trust that people have for one another. Here’s a short story to illustrate.. after working in the tech support field in Denver for 10 years, fighting the traffic, noise and smog, I moved to Cheyenne in 2006. This past April, I took the entrepreneurial plunge and started my own computer support business. Last week, I won a contract with the Wyoming State Bar to provide their network and computer support. Now, understand that this organization serves the entire state of Wyoming. They gave me the keys to their building and sole custody of all their computers, on basically just a signed piece of paper and a handshake. I LOVE that people here do business like that.. it feels so good to be trusted and to trust them. I am determined to do a stellar job for them.
I’m glad to find your website, and see that you and your contributors talk about customers as people instead of marketing targets. As was mentioned in one of Jon’s blog post, I truly believe that love and care are as important in business relationships as they are in personal connections. Caring about and connecting with people really does make a difference in the world, no matter where you are or what you are doing. Kudos to you all.
We’re collecting rural and small town advantages, here. What would you add?
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020