Before you let the new year carry you away, take care of three important year-end accounting tasks.
1. Run your year-end reports on paper.
There are four important types of reports to document your important business info for the year. Put them on paper to protect against changes in software systems, lost data, or other vagaries of modern technology. Store them off site.
Run them for January 1 through December 31. Some are really long, so you may want to run them month by month to break it up.
I’ll also list the report names in QuickBooks, although I’m sure any software has its own equivalent.
- Your basic financial position: Profit and Loss, and Balance Sheet
- Totals for tax filings: Income Tax Summary
- Detail of every transaction: Transaction Detail by Account
- Important payroll tax totals: Employee Earnings Summary
The payroll tax totals protect you in case an employee ever questions withholding, perhaps even years after the fact.
2. Submit your required tax forms
In the USA, you’ll have three basic forms to tend to before January 31:
- W2: one form for each employee, and one form W3 as a summary of all employees
- 940: year end payroll report
- 1099-Misc: one form for each independent contractor you paid over $600, and one form 1096 as a summary of all 1099’s.
Each of these applies only if you have paid employees or independent contractors.
Be sure to check with a tax professional, like our own Maesz, for more specifics on tax filings.
3. Do an annual backup
And store it off-site. Consider taking advantage of one of the many great online backup services. A good list is at Storage for Nothing, Backup for Free. Carbonite is too new for the list, but gets good reviews. If you prefer to keep your backups off the internet, Comodo offers free backup software.
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021