Common mistakes can kill your small business, but most of them can be easily corrected or avoided.
Today’s bad example: inconsistent business hours.
A local restaurant is open, I think, Saturday at 5 pm, Sunday at 11 am for lunch only, and Monday sometime. In fact, they are only newly re-opened from a previous failure. They had screwy hours then, too. Each week, they’d run an ad with the new business hours.
Another local retail store has posted hours, a bit inconsistent, but at least they are posted. The problem is that they don’t consistently follow their posting. They are frequently not open at a posted time.
How are customers supposed to adapt to this? In fact, they don’t. Customers just go elsewhere.
How do you correct the mistake of inconsistent hours? Here are some tips for setting your business hours:
- Think about when your target customers want you to be open. Ask them.
- Set an incredibly easy to understand schedule.
- Publicize your business hours in all the media you use.
- Be open when you say you will. Open on time, and don’t close early.
I know, emergencies will occur, but do your best!
Together, we are going to try to help each other out of these most common, deadly mistakes. You can use real world examples, real small businesses. Write it up, take a picture, or shoot a short video. Take care not to embarrass the offenders! Key point: include suggestions on how to do it right!
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021