This shocking headline is from The New Zealand Herald, where high commodity prices are benefiting the diversified rural economy. Read more about the Kiwi economy at BoomtownUSA. Our Friend Jack Schultz has been touring the countryside there, sending back reports.
[Photo from Jack Schultz of Gordon Riach at a New Zealand wool buying station.]
Trend: Small businesses become Micro-Multinationals
Our Friend Anita Campbell points out the trend of small businesses that have significant global approach.
I’ve observed this trend blossoming in the past few years, particularly among technology and Internet businesses. This idea of the world transforming into one global village is happening before our eyes. The numbers of companies that can be characterized as micro-multinationals is still small, but they are out there.
Read more on Anita’s Small Business Trends site.
Is your state ready for the New Economy? Check the rankings
From The 2007 State New Economy Index, from The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF).
The changing economic landscape requires state economies to be innovative, globally-linked, entrepreneurial and dynamic, with an educated workforce and all sectors embracing the use of information technology.
Rural states like Vermont (news article) and Oklahoma (my home state) seem to rank well for entrepreneurship, but poorly for high-growth firms.
Kenya promoting tech for rural economy
They are doing this by promoting two programs at once. First, deploying technology centers throughout rural areas. Second, releasing funds to help youths found their own businesses. Read about it in The Standard.
Pakistan focusing on rural economy, agriculture
Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz has said that rural economy is the country’s lifeline and agriculture sector is pivotal to the growth of the economy.
Looks like a global opportunity for cooperation and for commerce in basic ag technologies. From ONLINE International News Network.
Mobile phones as a tool for rural development globally
Rural entrepreneurs can check livestock or supply prices, people can communicate with family, and now rural people can access banking services and transfer money between cell phones. Read more in the BBC News.
New opportunities exist in making more services available via cell phones. One of our favorite tools, Will It Fly?, has just launched a WAP interface for their business learning database.
And we just told you about marketing on mobile phones with Mobivity.
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022