How you gonna keep em down on the farm …
By Timlynn Babitsky
“What can we do to keep our kids here?” IS the wrong question. “What can we do to get them to come back home?” is the real question to ask, and providing jobs and economic opportunities is only one part of the answer.
People will leave and come back to a place that draws them back strongly, that tugs at their hearts often and that deepens and nourishes their roots and sense of belonging. Just growing up in a place doesn’t guarantee that it will be such a magnet.
The key question we need to ask ourselves in rural areas, is NOT how can we keep the kids here but rather — how can we inspire in them that deep sense of connection and awe of place that will bring them back to the HomeTown they love — armed with new and creative solutions to old problems that they have come to understand better “out in the world.”
Technorati tags: rural, small, biz, entrepreneurs, business, town, NARFI, brain, drain, outmigration
- How small town businesses can market to remote workers and turn them into new customers - May 15, 2023
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2023 results - May 8, 2023
- Rural and small town ideas from the OU Placemaking Conference IQC 2023 - April 5, 2023
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022