You don’t have to wait for someone from outside to come in and save your town. You don’t need some other person with some special qualities to show up and help you. You don’t have to wait for fate to take its course. You have the choice to act to shape the future of your town.
Here’s where you should start: downtown. Start with downtown.
Here’s why. A lively downtown means…
- a lively environment for your local small businesses
- a better breeding ground for new businesses
- more chances for people to realize that you have more local businesses than they thought
- more chances for people to run into each other and interact, and ultimately make new things happen.
A lively downtown means a healthy town.
Here’s one idea: a Pop-up Fair.
What is it? It’s a festival of local businesses, artists, direct marketers, home-based businesses and others who have neat stuff to sell, creating pop-up temporary businesses right on your downtown sidewalks, just for one day.
Like an old-fashioned sidewalk sale, but with a decidedly new feeling of life and interesting new vendors. Rather than boring old tables and clothes racks from stores everyone knows all too well, we’re talking new and different mini-stores that pop up right on the sidewalk with shelves and displays and interesting items for sale.
You are welcome to take that idea and just run with it. But we know you’re much more likely to follow through and actually do it if we keep pushing you step by step. So that’s what Deb Brown and I are going to do.
We’re sending out four weekly emails guiding you through the process. You can always hit reply and ask questions, and we’ll come up with answers. We’re charging for it because we know that, too, will make you more likely to stick to it and actually follow through.
We know if you’ll take this idea and actually do it, you’ll kick off a run of good things for your town. We wanted something small enough to do in a town of 300 people, but flexible enough to scale up to big small towns and neighborhoods.
So if you’re ready to shape the future of your town, head to SmallBizSurvival.biz/popup.
Don’t wait too long. The sales close on June 15, 2015, and then you’ll have missed it.
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022