Is it really possible to live and work where you want? Or do you have to be located where the action is?
We talk about this a lot here, and Jesse offered an interesting opinion in the comments on Barbara Winter’s guest post, Becoming and Entrepreneurial Villager:
Its true the new technology enhanced economy allows each of us to have more autonomy over our personal and professional live and where we choose to live. But I still think that in order to make it big (not just tread water) you have to go where the people are.
I mean it says a lot that you [Barbara] are located in Las Vegas! Anyway, its great to see someone writing about small town business. As more of these markets become aware of the resources available on the internet your name and popularity are only going to skyrocket!
I picked a few folks for my photo montage who I think are small town successes.
- Michelle Riggen-Ransom co-founded BatchBlue from Rhode Island.
- Aliza Sherman is a national expert on women and technology. She is currently based in tiny Tok, Alaska.
- Britt Raybould is defining her own level of success from Idaho.
- Hugh MacLeod invented the idea of the Small Town Global Microbrand and is now a best selling author. He has lived many places in the world, but chose to return to Alpine, Texas.
- Jack Schultz of Effingham, Illinois, wrote the book on small economic development and is a premier consultant on economic development.
- Des Walsh chose long ago to move out of the big city to Australia’s Gold Coast, where he is still in demand as a speaker and authority on home-based business, government, and technology.
- I haven’t yet met Jason Kintzler, founder and CEO of Pitch Engine, so I don’t have a photo of him. He’s another small town person running a global technology company. He happens to be happily based in Wyoming.
What do you think? Can you make it big from a small town? Are the folks I mentioned just treading water? Do you have any examples you’d like to point out?
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021