AOL is showing an AP story today, Alaska Town is Giving Away Free Land.
Here’s the interesting twist: the program was developed by the local high school students. They convinced the city council to go along with it.
Other free land programs exist. I’m familiar with Kansas Free Land, an impressive regional effort.
- Ask your local students to get involved in your community efforts in a meaningful way. Ask them to brainstorm!
- Consider banding together with other communities in your region for a similar land giveaway program.
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021