You have a huge advantage over the generations of small town business people who came before you. Through the internet you can learn from other people who live far away, but face similar challenges.
Right now, Pat Matthews is blogging at Small Town, Big Ideas about what he learned from some failures. Go right now and start reading Matthews’ series. Learn from him. Comment on his posts with your own insights.
Start with Writing about failure.
Then read Failure Story #1 – The New River Network. It is his true-life account of trying to build a regional network of professionals. It just didn’t work, but Matthews shares valuable lessons for anyone who is thinking of trying.
Matthews will have more stories to share, and I’m looking forward to learning more from him.
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020