You have a huge advantage over the generations of small town business people who came before you. Through the internet you can learn from other people who live far away, but face similar challenges.
Right now, Pat Matthews is blogging at Small Town, Big Ideas about what he learned from some failures. Go right now and start reading Matthews’ series. Learn from him. Comment on his posts with your own insights.
Start with Writing about failure.
Then read Failure Story #1 – The New River Network. It is his true-life account of trying to build a regional network of professionals. It just didn’t work, but Matthews shares valuable lessons for anyone who is thinking of trying.
Matthews will have more stories to share, and I’m looking forward to learning more from him.
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019