Want to delegate more work to your computer? Here are two thoughts for today.
First, templates are a great way to delegate work to someone else. I guess you could call it pre-delegation, because someone already did the work before you even asked.
- PigPog has a whole post of useful templates this week.
- Don’t forget Excel spreadsheets from CPA Matt Evans.
- We just talked about David Seah’s Printable CEO series.
- SCORE has a Business Toolbox, complete with Template Gallery, featuring business plans, financials, even a non-disclosure agreement.
If it’s something you can do on the computer, someone has created a template!
Second, Chris Brogan, one of our favorite bloggers to start conversations with, has a loooong piece on The Bionic You.
Considering the value chain means understanding if what you do is VITAL to the product/service you offer, or if what you do is something easily replicated in a cheaper location? What extra something are you giving to the process? Are you a set of hands like a shovel or are you the mind that can jump into the bulldozer and get even more done with this new technology?
Chris goes through breaking your work down to the component parts, and finding where you add value. The goal? Get comfortable with technology and make it work for you.
You’ve gotta be brutal about it. Look at every single piece of this pie. What can be done by a robot? What are you doing manually that just betrays your lack of technical knowledge? (I had a personal experience with this last night: I learned how vector drawings would’ve been SO much easier for some things I was painting pixels to accomplish).
So delegate more to your computer. You’ll be getting more things done that matter.
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020