The Creative Commons license protects creative works with more flexibility than a standard US copyright.
“Creative Commons helps you publish your work online while letting others know exactly what they can and can’t do with your work. When you choose a license, we provide you with tools and tutorials that let you add license information to your own site, or to one of several free hosting services that have incorporated Creative Commons.” Learn more at the Creative Commons site.
The licenses are all very simple to understand, and make it easy to share your work while keeping the level of control you want. They also explain exactly what rights you retain.
And the CC licenses have just received their first court victory, that confirms their status as a true international license. CNET reported on March 21 that a court in the Netherlands ruled that a Creative Commons license is binding internationally.
This is one of the first times that the license–which offers more flexibility than traditional copyright licenses–has been tested in a court of law, according to legal Web site Groklaw.
Creative Commons Canada said the ruling is important as it makes it clear that it is the user’s responsibility to find out about and adhere to the license.
So if you have worried about publishing your work online, investigate a Creative Commons license to protect your rights.
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020