The Creative Commons license protects creative works with more flexibility than a standard US copyright.
“Creative Commons helps you publish your work online while letting others know exactly what they can and can’t do with your work. When you choose a license, we provide you with tools and tutorials that let you add license information to your own site, or to one of several free hosting services that have incorporated Creative Commons.” Learn more at the Creative Commons site.
The licenses are all very simple to understand, and make it easy to share your work while keeping the level of control you want. They also explain exactly what rights you retain.
And the CC licenses have just received their first court victory, that confirms their status as a true international license. CNET reported on March 21 that a court in the Netherlands ruled that a Creative Commons license is binding internationally.
This is one of the first times that the license–which offers more flexibility than traditional copyright licenses–has been tested in a court of law, according to legal Web site Groklaw.
Creative Commons Canada said the ruling is important as it makes it clear that it is the user’s responsibility to find out about and adhere to the license.
So if you have worried about publishing your work online, investigate a Creative Commons license to protect your rights.
[small biz] [rural] [entrepreneurs] [Creative Commons] [copyrights] [law]
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022