Many small businesses can’t qualify for a small business loan from a traditional local bank. A bad credit record disqualifies many. Lending standards have tightened. Some small towns are limited by local banks that don’t support small business; others don’t have locally-owned banks any more. The good news is that alternatives are available. We are profiling alternatives to traditional small business loans in this ongoing series on financing.
|Enid, Oklahoma is encouraging businesses to locate
or expand downtown by using small grants.
Local grants can provide business financing in place of a loan. The trick is that they are scarce and not widely known. So you have to do your homework to find out if any might work for your small business.
The granting agencies can be economic development groups, Main Street programs, Chambers of Commerce, cities and towns, even states. The targeted uses might be business expansion, appearance upgrades, or any other purpose the grantor might want to encourage.
- The Enid (Oklahoma) Regional Development Alliance offered $5,000 grants to downtown Enid business owners to startup or expand.
- Miami-Dade County (Florida) offers a Mom and Pop Small Business Grant Program. (Yes, I know they aren’t a small town, but it is a good program.)
- The City of Mangum (Oklahoma) offered $500 matching grants specifically for facade improvements.
Your task is to get out and look for these local grants. It may take a lot of research to find any in your area. Even if you find a local grant or two, there is no guarantee that they will match up with your financing needs for your business, so don’t count on these to save your business.
- What is holding us back? Why does every project take so long in small towns? - December 3, 2018
- Control your business holiday lights with smart home tools - November 19, 2018
- Don’t bother to mention the benefits unless you tie them to this - November 12, 2018
- What business does every small town need? A store full of tiny retail spaces - November 5, 2018
- How any business can be part of downtown events by going mobile - October 29, 2018
- Support local entrepreneurship by giving Rising Stars business awards - October 22, 2018
- Why do people say there’s nothing to do here then not come to our concerts? - October 15, 2018
- Need more volunteers? Give everyone a tiny role - October 8, 2018
- Retailers: Fill all empty space, floor to ceiling - October 1, 2018
- Shipping container businesses downtown: don’t make this big mistake - September 24, 2018