Many small businesses can’t qualify for a small business loan from a traditional local bank. A bad credit record disqualifies many. Lending standards have tightened. Some small towns are limited by local banks that don’t support small business; others don’t have locally-owned banks any more. The good news is that alternatives are available. We are profiling alternatives to traditional small business loans in this ongoing series on financing.
|Enid, Oklahoma is encouraging businesses to locate
or expand downtown by using small grants.
Local grants can provide business financing in place of a loan. The trick is that they are scarce and not widely known. So you have to do your homework to find out if any might work for your small business.
The granting agencies can be economic development groups, Main Street programs, Chambers of Commerce, cities and towns, even states. The targeted uses might be business expansion, appearance upgrades, or any other purpose the grantor might want to encourage.
- The Enid (Oklahoma) Regional Development Alliance offered $5,000 grants to downtown Enid business owners to startup or expand.
- Miami-Dade County (Florida) offers a Mom and Pop Small Business Grant Program. (Yes, I know they aren’t a small town, but it is a good program.)
- The City of Mangum (Oklahoma) offered $500 matching grants specifically for facade improvements.
Your task is to get out and look for these local grants. It may take a lot of research to find any in your area. Even if you find a local grant or two, there is no guarantee that they will match up with your financing needs for your business, so don’t count on these to save your business.
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020