Dr. Kay Decker tells about arts projects in Alva, Oklahoma. She explains how and why the First Friday Art Walk was started here.
Here is a summary of what Dr. Decker said:
The art space we are sitting in, Graceful Arts, is a project of Freedom West Community Development Corporation, where she is executive director.
Art walks are very common in arts communities around the country, frequently sponsored by arts districts, to bring the community, neighborhood or town to the arts district. The intention is to get the public into the galleries, studios, stores, restaurants and shops, and to get the public engaged with the arts.
When Alva, Oklahoma, formed a local arts district and the Graceful Arts Studio was opened, the leaders decided to focus on creating an art walk and to bring the other local art venues and businesses on board. At the very first local art walk, one nearby merchant stayed open, and in two hours did $300 worth of business. By the second art walk, more merchants were coming on board. (Note: over a year and a half later, the art walks are still going strong and growing.)
Every art walks’ goal is to engage the public with the arts, regardless of the form, to get them in tune with the art that is going on in their community. This includes visual arts and performing arts.
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020