Dr. Kay Decker tells about arts projects in Alva, Oklahoma. She explains how and why the First Friday Art Walk was started here.
Here is a summary of what Dr. Decker said:
The art space we are sitting in, Graceful Arts, is a project of Freedom West Community Development Corporation, where she is executive director.
Art walks are very common in arts communities around the country, frequently sponsored by arts districts, to bring the community, neighborhood or town to the arts district. The intention is to get the public into the galleries, studios, stores, restaurants and shops, and to get the public engaged with the arts.
When Alva, Oklahoma, formed a local arts district and the Graceful Arts Studio was opened, the leaders decided to focus on creating an art walk and to bring the other local art venues and businesses on board. At the very first local art walk, one nearby merchant stayed open, and in two hours did $300 worth of business. By the second art walk, more merchants were coming on board. (Note: over a year and a half later, the art walks are still going strong and growing.)
Every art walks’ goal is to engage the public with the arts, regardless of the form, to get them in tune with the art that is going on in their community. This includes visual arts and performing arts.
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- How small town businesses can market to remote workers and turn them into new customers - May 15, 2023
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2023 results - May 8, 2023
- Rural and small town ideas from the OU Placemaking Conference IQC 2023 - April 5, 2023
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
Volume is too low. I can’t hear it. Would love a printed version.
Becky McCray says
I’ve posted a summary of the video. Thanks for speaking up!