Direct from the EDPro Weblog, here’s the scoop on rural outsourcing:
Rural areas are becoming more competitive with the expansion of communications networks. Here’s a good story about how some high tech jobs are being “outsourced” to rural regions. Read more.
Increasingly, rural counties are seeing that communciations networks are critical to their ability to compete. Here’s a story from Pennsylvania this week. Read more.
One community in rural Wyoming this week announced plans for a fiber optic network. Read more.
So it looks like the lesson is clear: you ARE your communications network. Want to compete? Want to attract alumni to return and found businesses? Want to draw jobs? Invest in your communications network. Other factors (especially people) play into this, but don’t neglect network building!
Start building relationships with all your communications providers to increase their investment.
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019