The Making Place Matter in Northwest Oklahoma Rural Community Economic Development Summit was held in Alva on June 3, 2010.
|Marci Penner leads a break
out session on rural tourism
An estimated 85 people attended the event in person. Over 100 more people participated online. Three event participants live tweeted during event with the hashtag #ruralok. Those participants were @beckymccray, @okiej (Jeanne Cole), and @lauragirty. Tracking the clicks on links tweeted during the event, over 100 people clicked on a single link.
Twitter users retweeting and participating in the discussion came from:
- Alberta, Canada
- Toronto, Canada
- British Columbia, Canada
- West Virginia
- New York
A PDF of the live tweets, and the list of participating states and countries, is available here: #RuralOK Tweets PDF.
Coverage of the event includes:
- Wildheart’s Web 2.0: What Can Topeka Learn from Rural Communities?
- Alva Review Courier: Economic development summit offers challenges, information to participants
- Small Biz Survival: Northwest Oklahoma population changes
- Small Biz Survival: Rural community building ideas
- Small Biz Survival: USDA is more than just ag – Keynote address by Glenda Humiston
Event co-chairs were Kay Decker and Patti Wilber from Northwestern Oklahoma State University. Speakers included representatives from USDA Rural Development, the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food, and Forestry, the Oklahoma Department of Commerce, the Oklahoma Main Street Center, the Kansas Sampler Foundation, USDA Agricultural Research Service, the Workforce Investment Boards of Northwest Oklahoma and North Central Oklahoma, Preservation Oklahoma, East Central University, the Oklahoma Municipal League, and the Oklahoma Association of County Commissioners. The keynote speaker was Glenda Humiston, California USDA Rural Development State Director.
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020