Jory Des Jardins didn’t intend to be a small business owner, but here it is. As a co-founder of BlogHer, she finds herself fully into the realities of small business. She shares her Point of View in The Small Business Owner’s Guide to Life.
It’s a constant state of conflict for the bootstrapping small business owner; before you have people to help you implement, you’re in a constant push and pull of generating opportunity and then implementing that opportunity.
Things didn’t work quite the way Des Jardins thought they would. If you’ve ever been in business, I suppose you know that now.
My original concept of growing it alone with my hand in everything seems inefficient to me now, almost arrogant. My business wasn’t a seed that could only grow with my care and feeding; it was a garden–a community–that I would help to maintain. More than a business owner I am a steward.
Read more of Des Jardins’ Point of View, including why Rule #1 is Stop Trying to Land Mr. Hard-to-Get.
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022