Written by Jay Hearst
Lead the Charge to Business Success: A Guide to Starting and Running a Successful Business Based on Lessons Learned at the School of Hard Knocks (2004; Sales & Marketing Professionals Publishing; ISBN: 0-9747667-0-4; $19.95) — written by been-there-done-that entrepreneur Jay W. Hearst … Here, excerpted from his book, are Hearst’s “Top 10 Mistakes Not to Make When Starting a Business”:
- Mistake #1: Misjudging the Consumer’s Desire for Your Product or Service
- Mistake #2: Underestimating How Much Time Your Business Will Require
- Mistake #3: Setting the Price of Your Product/Service Too Low
- Mistake #4: Not Having the Requisite Business Skills
- Mistake #5: Choosing the Wrong Partner(s)
- Mistake #6: Not Having a Written Business Plan
- Mistake #7: Underestimating the Capital Required
- Mistake #8: Choosing the Wrong Location
- Mistake #9: Failing to Consider the Legal Aspects
- Mistake #10: Not Understanding the Numerous Employee Issues You Must Face
Quoted in the OSBDC Blog.
- About the Author
- Latest by this Author
Becky started Small Biz Survival in 2006 to share rural business and community building stories and ideas with other small town business people. She and her husband have a small cattle ranch and are lifelong entrepreneurs. Becky is an international speaker on small business and rural topics.