Seth Godin took on the role of technology in changing the role of geography, in Sovereignty and the new world–the end of nations?
Technology has allowed us to move both information and goods in ways that completely changed long established business patterns. In addition to the changes in communication, look at the changes in containerized intermodals and consumer shipping, for example. Both have changed the meaning of geography.
Godin says governments are losing the battle for control, and that multi-national corporations will have the upper hand. He points to the spread of ideas and the importance of long-term horizons (another small town rule), and even better lawyers.
Taking that one step further, “local” matters more than ever before. That puts an advantage into the hands of local organizations (business, personal, nonprofit).
The savvy multinationals that grasp the importance of local connections will quite possibly have the biggest advantage of all.
Photo: National currencies. Photo by Becky McCray.
- About Small Town Rules - May 15, 2022
- Chris Brogan works Anywhere, Anywhen from his small town - May 11, 2022
- More sightings of Small Town Rules fans! - April 11, 2022
- Buy Small Town Rules - March 15, 2022
- Small Town Rules Authors - February 15, 2022
- Small Town Rules Media - February 15, 2022
- Experts say about Small Town Rules - January 15, 2022
- 7th Annual SMTULSA® Social Business Conference Equips Local Business People for Social Media Marketing Success - February 11, 2017
- Absolut vodka goes local through partner distillers - May 11, 2014
- Plan for Zero: Small biz owners sacrifice their own pay - December 11, 2013