Another small town small business idea:
Buy damaged items from online auction sites, repair them, and then resell them.
I got this idea from a student in one of my eBay classes. She would search eBay for broken china dolls. Her search keywords included “needs help” and “poor thing”. These broken dolls came at a steep discount. She would then repair them. I don’t think she was intending to make a profit, but you might!
If you consider this idea, here are a few suggestions:
- Specialize! Focus only on items you can repair well, and that have a strong resale market.
- Track your time, and carefully evaluate your profit potential.
- Be absolutely honest about repairs when you resell.
Do you have business ideas to share? We’d love to hear it.
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020