Let’s start with Best Wishes for 2018.
That wish was to be a part of my post last week. But as you may or may not have noticed, I didn’t get a post done.
This is not the first time it has happened but those missed times were typically planned for some reason.
Last week my missed blog occurred when I had a “life happens” event. A Saturday phone call put me on a different track as I ended up locating and helping my mother move to an independent retirement community. Thankfully, Becky gives me a great deal of independence in my posts.
But it raises a good question. Are you prepared to handle such unplanned life events and still maintain your business? Most businesses can’t just shut down for a short break and then restart right where they left off. Momentum is lost as well as good will with your customers. For a retail business, shutting down during the holiday season might just end your business.
In many ways, such events are just another type of disaster. As you have done your disaster planning, did you think about these personal life events that impact your business as much, or maybe more than, as a burst water pipe or a fire.
Yet, most of the events you have planned for probably involve the business system only. This makes them somewhat more contained than a personal event where both the business and family systems are involved at the same time. If only one system is under stress, we can often call on the other for various types of relief but where do you turn when both systems are stressed?
As you head into a new year, I would encourage you to think about similar events that you might face. What unique demands might you face? And what resources do you have to help? Some prep work will offer a great deal of relief both: (1) thinking about the future, and (2) when and if the day comes when you need to put your plan into action.
Once again, have a happy and prosperous 2018.
- Business Startups: Separate Fact and Fiction - September 19, 2018
- Build Trust to Build Your Business - September 12, 2018
- I Can’t Handle Success - September 5, 2018
- Your Small Business Needs an Online Presence - August 29, 2018
- What’s Your Goal - August 22, 2018
- Screening Your Customers – Look for Potential - August 15, 2018
- Learn From the Mistakes of Others - August 8, 2018
- First Impressions - July 25, 2018
- The Old Market Methods Still Work - July 18, 2018
- Building a Team - July 11, 2018