I operate with a set of assumptions about rural places and small towns. I want to share them with you so you’ll know what I’m assuming whenever I talk with you. (Yes, I know what happens when you assume. Call them basic beliefs instead of assumptions, if you prefer.)
When I tell you that I help you shape a better future for your small town, that includes the assumptions that small towns in general have a future, that your town in particular is worth shaping and that what you do will make a difference.
When I say we’ll do it no matter what the pessimists say or do, I’m assuming that you have pessimists, that you have at least a few optimists, too, and that you are strong enough to stand up again when those pessimists try to knock you down once more.
When I say that I’ll deliver practical steps you can put into action right away toward that brighter future, I’m building on my belief that you want to take action and that the advice to you can be practical, do-able and realistic.
Our underlying assumptions shape our world view and all of our actions. If you believe all small towns are dying because you’ve heard it said all your life, then you’ll act like small towns have no future, like our actions don’t matter in the end. If you believe that the pessimists have power over you, you’ll squelch your own best ideas rather than bring them up and face potential ridicule.
The good news is that your underlying beliefs can change. You can shift based on the new information you learn about the world and your small town. Spoiler alert: the pessimists can shift their mindset, too. It just takes a long time and a lot of love.
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022