Today is National Agriculture Day in the US. I’m proud to be in agriculture as a rancher here in Oklahoma.
I’m also proud of the role that agribusiness plays in small towns all over the world. Agriculture is a key part of rural prosperity.
Ag-based businesses in the US are almost unbelievably diverse.
- you-pick places
- community supported agriculture
- tiny homesteads
- fish farms
- huge operations
- hay mazes
- dude ranches
- equipment dealers
- ag lenders
The list goes on from there.
Local foods, food hubs and food tourism all rely on your agriculture base. And tourism is linked to agriculture through many agri-tourism ventures.
Ag is also center of opportunity for green, or environmentally friendly, business. The Agricultural Utilization Research Institute issued a Green jobs in food production report for Minnesota that is eye-opening. Had you really thought about the number and diversity of entrepreneurial opportunities just around green jobs in agriculture, production and processing?
If all that isn’t enough, remember that your locally-owned ag businesses return more of their income directly into your local economy.
That’s plenty of reason to be AgProud, whether you’re in the US or anywhere in the world.
See what other folks are sharing by following #AgDay2015 and #AgProud.
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- How small town businesses can market to remote workers and turn them into new customers - May 15, 2023
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2023 results - May 8, 2023
- Rural and small town ideas from the OU Placemaking Conference IQC 2023 - April 5, 2023
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022