I’ve been thinking about how we have all we need. We don’t need to learn more, read more, acquire more. That’s why what John C. Shepard, planner from Wyoming, USA, said caught my attention:
“Implementation is my watch-word for 2014.”
That deceptively simple sentence could change everything. What if you made implementation your watch word?
You have everything you need to start implementing. You don’t need more money, more people, more research. You can start now.
Look through your favorite business authors. Pull out one book about business that really struck you as good. Maybe you have a guidebook from a course you took that was terrific, but you just didn’t follow up on it much.
Pick one. Just one thing. Because if you took one framework and really implemented all it had to teach you, you’d make an enormous difference in your business.
Maybe you want a general book on business, like The E-Myth Revisited, or something from your industry, or about one aspect of business, like Built to Sell. Maybe you know you need to work on a particular skill like accounting or online marketing.
Start now. Pick your one book. Start implementing what it says. Don’t stop because you’ve heard about some other idea. Don’t sign up for more courses or pick up more books. Keep at it. Implement.
Yes, you can read other things for fun or profit, but remember that right now, you’re working on implementing just this one.
What if it turns out that this is not the right one? Drop it and find the next best one for you.
Me? I’m going to pick The Retail Doctor’s Guide to Growing Your Business. I have a lot going on, but I want to make my retail store a much more solid business this year. What about you? Tell me about your business and what you’re going to focus on implementing. You can add it in the comments below, or if you are reading this in your email, just hit reply.
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021