There’s a saying in many organizations: Those who show up, go up.
It’s not that all you have to do is show up. It’s that the people who consistently make the effort to show up are the same ones who make the effort to do the work. They are the ones who read and study the new material they need to learn. They are the ones who make the phone calls, even when it’s not fun. They are the ones who treat it like a business.
And, those are the same people who move up.
The ones who skip the events are the same ones who skip reading and skip studying and skip making the calls.
Today is the 8th anniversary of this site, Small Biz Survival. For eight years, I’ve kept showing up, along with a talented group of people who have contributed many useful posts. That’s eight years of writing, editing, thinking, planning and managing the technology, even when it’s not fun. We have moved up to one of the top 20 small business blogs worldwide, but the real reward is knowing that 9,000 unique visitors each month find answers to their small town business questions right here.
If you want to become one of the people who moves up, start by showing up. Treat your business like a business.
Then, when someone asks for your secret to success, you can honestly say:
Those who show up, go up.
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020