@BeckyMcCray have you ever seen a small town struggle because it had too many of the same kind of business?
— Micah Choquette (@meetmicah) October 19, 2013
My friend Micah Choquette @meetmicah asked me on Twitter, “Have you ever seen a small town struggle because it had too many of the same kind of business?”
I said that some business types seem to run in cycles. Lots of similar businesses will spring up, then competition thins them out.
Micah asked, “are certain categories of businesses prone to thinning faster than others?”
I’d guess that businesses with shorter typical life cycles, like eateries, probably will thin out faster than others.
Micah said, “My curiosity stems from an increase in the number of consignment shops popping up in my town. Doesn’t bring a lot of money.”
I recall hearing that some UK high streets suffer a glut of church-run resale shops because of tax benefits. So policy can play into it.
Micah asked, “so how does a town attract quality businesses that will help the town in the long run? What does such a biz look like?”
Now that is a great question! I said you have to grow them, and gave these two suggestions:
- Lower the barrier of entry so more things get tried.
- Network entrepreneurs together for support and ideas.
How about your town? Are you stuck with a glut of too-similar me-too businesses that don’t add much value?
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021