@BeckyMcCray have you ever seen a small town struggle because it had too many of the same kind of business?
— Micah Choquette (@meetmicah) October 19, 2013
My friend Micah Choquette @meetmicah asked me on Twitter, “Have you ever seen a small town struggle because it had too many of the same kind of business?”
I said that some business types seem to run in cycles. Lots of similar businesses will spring up, then competition thins them out.
Micah asked, “are certain categories of businesses prone to thinning faster than others?”
I’d guess that businesses with shorter typical life cycles, like eateries, probably will thin out faster than others.
Micah said, “My curiosity stems from an increase in the number of consignment shops popping up in my town. Doesn’t bring a lot of money.”
I recall hearing that some UK high streets suffer a glut of church-run resale shops because of tax benefits. So policy can play into it.
Micah asked, “so how does a town attract quality businesses that will help the town in the long run? What does such a biz look like?”
Now that is a great question! I said you have to grow them, and gave these two suggestions:
- Lower the barrier of entry so more things get tried.
- Network entrepreneurs together for support and ideas.
How about your town? Are you stuck with a glut of too-similar me-too businesses that don’t add much value?
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- How small town businesses can market to remote workers and turn them into new customers - May 15, 2023
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2023 results - May 8, 2023
- Rural and small town ideas from the OU Placemaking Conference IQC 2023 - April 5, 2023
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
Sue Pariseau says
We actually have a very similar issue here. Second hand and consignment shops by far outnumber the other shops. Make it look like a big garage sale town.