We just finished with National Small Business Week, and now we turn around and talk about Independents Week. What’s the difference, and why does it matter?
Small business is a designation of size. So anything under 500 employees, according to Small Business Administration definition. I don’t know about your small town, but in mine, 500 employees is extraordinarily large. And small businesses are unquestionably the heart and soul of small town business.
Independent is a reflection of ownership. Independent businesses could be any size, but they are owned by local people. Control remains local. Decisions about what to carry, what business to pursue, what donations to make are all made locally. More profits remain local. More business is given to other local businesses.
Of course, there is a lot of overlap: many businesses in small towns are both small and independent. These business people are the ones who invest themselves in the future of your community.
According to the Spring 2013 American Express OPEN Small Business Monitor, nearly all small businesses (96%) find some way to contribute to their local communities (including donating to local causes, participating in community projects and sponsoring local athletic teams) and 83 percent shop at independently-owned businesses in their neighborhoods.
According to the Independent We Stand Community Support Index, small businesses contributed 16 percent more resources to charities this year compared to last year. The survey indicates that the number one reason small businesses support local charities is to invest in their own community.
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022