Last week, two local tours caught my eye. No, not local as in “my town,” local as in “taking your local people to see what’s local.”
Hamilton County, Indiana, was taking their tourism staff out for a tour:
Some of our staff is touring the county today to get acquainted w/ Hamilton Co.’s history! What are your fave historical attractions here?
— Hamilton County CVB (@8GreatTowns) June 6, 2013
For tourism staff, imagine how much more they can say about local attractions when they’ve just been there. Imagine how much better they can do in social media interactions with the history fresh on their minds.
And Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada (where I spoke in January), was taking their entire economic development team around: Planners, Building Inspectors, EDOs, Heritage & Culture, Bylaw.
I suggested they follow up with a tour for their local media, educators, business owners, or bankers. They play a big part in economic development, too.
- Locals suffer from “never been there” syndrome. They may live right next to an attraction, but they’ve never been there.
- Things change. Who ever told you small towns never change was lying. Small towns change, and pace of change is faster than ever. I’ll bet even you would be surprised what’s changed in your small town in just the past five years.
What locals will you take on your next local tour?
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021