When I spoke to small business owners in Ponca City recently, one audience member asked about offering coupons and discounts.
So we talked about her business (basically, a franchised frozen yogurt parlor), and how they’ve gotten started with coupons and discounts, so now people seem to expect them.
I made up these two rules for coupons on the spot:
1. Track them.
Never issue coupons that you can’t track how effective they are. Find ways to keep track of where they go out, when they get used, and whether those customers ever return.
I think a natural follow on is to make the coupon a lead-in to a loyalty program. You came in for the free cone; now we want to hook you with our Dish of the Week.
2. Make the coupon an experience.
The coupon itself could be an interesting experience.
Sonic Drive-Ins issued poker chip coupons. They aren’t cheap plastic things. They are heavy and soft-finished like real poker chips. You can see I kept mine. They even look like the mints Sonic is known for handing out.
The act of redeeming a coupon could be an interesting experience.
Servers could break into song. A free item could be served in a special dish. Maybe the coupon is for a special experience, like a drink in the “hidden” room in a bar.
Since I’ve admitted I made those up on the spot, I’m betting you can improve on them. What ideas do you have?
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022