Small town businesses sometimes struggle for the right words to describe themselves.
At a conference lunch table, the yoga instructor was trying to explain to the middle-aged guy from the economic development group what a yoga class is like. At first it made sense, but when she got to the part about breathing into the muscles from the inside, I realized I had no idea what she was talking about. We weren’t getting any closer to understanding what goes on in yoga class.
“Where’s your video?” I asked.
If she just had a one minute video, showing real people in her class, then we could understand, at least well enough for that day.
She asked if it should be video of her. I said no. She’s too expert in her abilities. I want to see video of someone like my mom, someone I can relate to.
We all (well, almost all) carry phones that play video now.
Then I turned to the economic development guy and asked, “where’s your video? Why don’t you have a video of your town on your phone?”
Turns out this is his second week on the job, so I cut him some slack.
But how about you? What’s on your video?
It doesn’t matter if you have a small business, you work in tourism, economic development, the chamber of commerce, a church, or are looking for work. Get a 1 minute video onto your phone. I’ll even give you credit for making a 30 second slideshow out of photos of your work. Need more suggestions? Here’s how to use video to promote your small business.
Wait, what about me? Well, I have a speaking clip on my phone and on my iPad now. I’ll show you next time we meet. And be ready, because I’m going to ask to see yours, too.
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022