Small town businesses sometimes struggle for the right words to describe themselves.
At a conference lunch table, the yoga instructor was trying to explain to the middle-aged guy from the economic development group what a yoga class is like. At first it made sense, but when she got to the part about breathing into the muscles from the inside, I realized I had no idea what she was talking about. We weren’t getting any closer to understanding what goes on in yoga class.
“Where’s your video?” I asked.
If she just had a one minute video, showing real people in her class, then we could understand, at least well enough for that day.
She asked if it should be video of her. I said no. She’s too expert in her abilities. I want to see video of someone like my mom, someone I can relate to.
We all (well, almost all) carry phones that play video now.
Then I turned to the economic development guy and asked, “where’s your video? Why don’t you have a video of your town on your phone?”
Turns out this is his second week on the job, so I cut him some slack.
But how about you? What’s on your video?
It doesn’t matter if you have a small business, you work in tourism, economic development, the chamber of commerce, a church, or are looking for work. Get a 1 minute video onto your phone. I’ll even give you credit for making a 30 second slideshow out of photos of your work. Need more suggestions? Here’s how to use video to promote your small business.
Wait, what about me? Well, I have a speaking clip on my phone and on my iPad now. I’ll show you next time we meet. And be ready, because I’m going to ask to see yours, too.
- How will autonomous vehicles work in small towns? - July 16, 2018
- A small town apprenticeship - July 9, 2018
- Time management: knowing what NOT to do - July 2, 2018
- 3 Types of Income Producing Activities: discovering, nurturing, delivering - June 25, 2018
- The easiest way to podcast is from your phone - June 18, 2018
- Dress up empty buildings with these creative window ideas - June 11, 2018
- Expensive code compliance doesn’t have to ruin your small town - May 28, 2018
- The next big opportunity downtown: the rooftops - May 14, 2018
- I’d like to feed business plan competitions to the sharks - May 7, 2018
- What can you do when a traffic detour cuts down on visitors to town? - April 30, 2018