Remember the yoga instructor who is going to do a video for her business? She told me that once people come to one class, they usually come back. So how can she get more people to make it to the first class? By cutting down the hurdles that stand between them and the first class.
Sampling is the answer, even when what you sell is a service.
Here are some ideas we came up with:
At the county fair, have a booth with a lovely textured mat on the floor. Invite people in, have them stand on the “special” mat, and talk them through a one-minute or two-minute breathing or stretching exercise while standing there. When they finish, say, “that was yoga!” And invite them to the sample class.
Have a sample class. Tell people, “Come to our 30 minute introduction event Friday.” Call them “Try It, You’ll Like It” sessions. Make it super simple and completely easy for customers. (Michael Port, author of “Book Yourself Solid,” says to always have something to invite people to.)
Have 5 minute lunch time quickies. It’s a silly name, but people would remember. Or “5 Minute Feel Good” sessions. That cuts down the initial commitment even further. Speaking of initial commitment…
Make a video that shows the prerequisites, or what gear you need. She said people always ask if tennis shoes are ok. So make the video that answers those “what do I bring?” questions.
Your own services
How can you start offering samples of your services?
How can you cut down on the initial commitment so people can take that first step?
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019
- Better entrepreneur training for small towns - November 4, 2019
- Culture is the intersection of people and place - August 19, 2019
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019