Any advice on how to conduct a Main Street stroll?
The idea is to get our locals to actually come into our stores. We have many retirees with money living in our community but they seem to have no use for Main St. They often drive several hours to the nearest city to shop. We are wanting to create an event to get them to come into our stores and check it out.
Thinking of having wine, chocolates, food, entertainment. Don’t have a large budget.
Thanks for any help or direction you could give me.
Co-Director Custer County Chamber of Commerce
|Alva, Oklahoma, Art Walks have been going for
a year and a half now.
Around here, I hear more often about “Art Walks” than “Main Street strolls,” but the concept seems to be the same: putting the focus on downtown or a shopping or arts district for a special evening event. Businesses stay open late. Artists display their works. Musicians perform. Some businesses put out refreshments. Some run specials or offer other incentives to make a purchase. The emphasis is on community and fun.
I have a couple of video interviews that might help with establishing a walk or stroll, one is from an established art walk in Hutchinson, Kansas, and one from a just-getting-started art walk in Alva, Oklahoma.
In an unrelated, but possibly helpful topic, here’s how one merchant started something that really packs downtown for shopping.
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Subscribe.
- How small town businesses can market to remote workers and turn them into new customers - May 15, 2023
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2023 results - May 8, 2023
- Rural and small town ideas from the OU Placemaking Conference IQC 2023 - April 5, 2023
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
Elaine Love says
We actually have an “art walk” in Steamboat Springs, CO and it has become wildly popular. I moved from my beloved Steamboat 4 years ago but this event was hosted through the Arts Council. If you are interested, contact me and I will put you in touch with the right folks.
Greg Falken says
We have a monthly “2nd Saturday Art Night” here in Sonora, CA that has been going for about three years. It started slowly but with some tireless organizers and support from our local Arts Council, it has become a destination event. And this from a town with a reputation for rolling up the sidewalks after dark. You can get a good feel for the event on their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sonora-2nd-Saturday-ART-Night/240245406071376
Becky McCray says
Greg, Elaine, thanks for sharing connections with your own local resources!