Investment Ready Places is a new description of small towns and mid sized cities, from the team at Street Sense: Atul Sharma, Kevin Lavelle and Joseph Nickol.
Small towns and cities have lots of potential.
Mid-tier towns and cities are our most dynamic urban settlements and have the largest untapped potential for fostering economic growth. They vary in size from a town of a few thousand people to small cities with a couple hundred thousands residents. They are small enough to be affected by incremental change and large enough to afford opportunities to create substantial impact. They provide us the stimulus of direct action followed by relatively quick, tangible change.
They’ve put together a report introducing the concept of Investment Ready Places. They also have a checklist that guides you in evaluating your small town’s potential, and a map of places that have completed the IRP checklist.
The checklist divides towns into four categories, from good enough to attract other investors all the way down to “look elsewhere.” (I agree that Not every small town can be saved.)
If you evaluate your small town using the checklist, you might want to list it on their map that they call the IRP Locator.
Want to learn more? Head to the Investment Ready Places page.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021