Over at Michele Price’s site, a reader asked:
How would one create a startup community in a more rural area where people don’t really get “the internet” and could care less about Facebook, Twitter, or ANY social networking/digital websites?
Michele invited me to reply, and here’s the advice I offered:
|Our eclectic Alva meetup group welcomes a couple of
1. Broaden your definition of startups to connect with more locals.
I understand (very well) your point about local people who don’t care about the online world. However, even in my own small town, I can connect with the few others who do care. We have occasional meetups, and our group includes local business owners, a couple of pastors, and others who are interested in online connections, social networking, and the digital world. Once you start building local connections, you might be surprised by who you find.
2. Broaden your definition of local to connect with more startups.
Look to nearby larger towns that may have like-minded startups. See if you can create connections to them. Also, look online. Find a group (or start a group) that meets online. Leave plenty of time for social talk as well as business talk in your online sessions. And find excuses to get everyone together in the same place on occasion.
What would you recommend?
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020