A local credit union partnered with community organizations to facilitate loans for small businesses with needs not met through traditional lending. Leslie Ackerman of Alternatives Federal Credit Union is using this model and presented on it at the BALLE Business Conference.
The community organization brings the mission and raises the money.
The local investors and community contribute the capital.
The local lending institution manages the lending program.
The funds are deposited as a loan loss (collateral on the loans).
The community organization sets the lending policies.
The local people can invest in local businesses at lower risk.
The businesses get access to loans they might not otherwise fit, and the repayment is reported to build their credit history.
The financial institution gets to support the community.
The loans are made at a relatively low rate.
The deposits can earn a small amount of interest for investors.
Local lending partnerships like this are profiled in Local Dollars, Local Sense: How to Shift Your Money from Wall Street to Main Street and Achieve Real Prosperity–A Community Resilience Guide Disclosure: this Amazon affiliate link benefits our contributor Jon Swanson’s not-for-profit projects.
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
Red Rock says
Nice instructions for the users involved in mortgages.