Being talked about online can bring more visitors and tourists to your town.
Just one example: A 2011 UK study found that 52 per cent of Facebook users were influenced by their friend’s holiday photos to book a trip to the same place.
If you want to help make more of that happen, you want to connect with your online champions, the people who already know and love your town and are willing to talk you up online.
|Sarah Hansen uses my iPad to live-tweet at RevitalizeWA.|
When I spoke about finding your online champions at the Revitalize WA conference, the audience was made up of people from towns of all sizes. A quick survey of the room showed that they understood the power of online conversation to drive visits. While they were thinking of ways to get more online mentions from strangers, many of them had overlooked the power of their existing champions.
It turns out, all of them knew of people who either live in town now, used to live there, or had family connections in town, and were also active online. And a quick search of town names in directories like Twellowhood and Local Tweeps turned up powerful online publishers that the locals had not connected with. I should say they had not at that time, because I think they headed straight to do that right after the session.
Where else do you find your existing online champions?
- your site comments
- your Facebook comments
- people who connect on Twitter
- your Flickr friends
If you listen, your champions are out there talking. It’s your opportunity to listen and connect.
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022