Yes. Use them anyway.
While QR Codes will disappear from popular use at some point, the idea of a link from the offline world to the online world won’t change. Whether the next technology is near field communications (NFC) or something we don’t even see yet, you can and will adapt.
Believe in the idea of the link: Offline experiences can be enhanced by the link to the right online information.
Don’t believe in the specific technology, like the QR Code itself.
So now is a great time to invest in creating the online information. Then no matter how the link is made, you have the information available and ready for users. You can update from QR Codes to NFC, or to what ever comes next.
It makes no sense to hold off on creating the compelling online content for your customers because you’re worried about the way the link will be made in the future.
Want to future-proof your efforts?
- Back up your data, especially if you are buying in to someone’s proprietary QR Code information delivery service. You’ll need that data when you move to the next way of making the link.
- Don’t set your QR codes in stone. Or in concrete, or other permanent media.
Key question to ask yourself: what information would a user or customer appreciate when they interact with this? Put that information online, make a link with a QR code or whatever comes next, and explain to the user what they will get when they follow the link.
Bonus QR Code tips
Things to remember when you use a QR code:
Tell them what to expect. Lonely QR codes with no explanation seldom get scanned. Think about “What’s in it for me?” and explain that right next to the code.
Include a short URL, written out. That makes it usable for people who can’t scan a QR code, but can use mobile internet or wifi, including laptops, original iPads and older phones.
Deliver the user to a mobile-friendly site. If you have to pinch and zoom or scroll both ways, it’s not mobile friendly. Test it on a variety of mobile devices.
- For easier social media marketing, fill in the blank - August 5, 2019
- Need a downtown business idea? Try a Cookie Crawl - July 22, 2019
- Need funding for the next step in your business? - July 17, 2019
- Youth business idea: phone clinics - July 8, 2019
- Chain link is everywhere in downtowns. Here’s how to dress it up. - June 30, 2019
- Stop using “3 legged stool” to describe any idea - June 24, 2019
- What are your challenges? Add your voice here - June 17, 2019
- How to publicize your biking trails before they’re finished - June 10, 2019
- How $5 and a bowl of soup can rebuild your community - June 3, 2019
- Getting people to mix at an event - May 27, 2019