I don’t know why it is that people like cows so much, but they do. And there is an important tourism lesson in that.
|Stargardener had a great time
meeting my cows.
Pam Mandel, Nerd’s Eye View, spent July in Austria amongst a dairy herd. Her conclusion? She likes cows, even when confronted with the realities of life and death. Read about her thoughts in Goodnight, Ladies.
I’ve been posting more pictures of my cows to my Twitter and Google+. They consistently draw interest and reactions. When I shared the struggle for life of a new baby calf, I was inundated with people interested in him. People still ask about him, six months later.
Something less than 2% of the US population is involved in production agriculture. Most people are 3-5 generations removed from the farm. That means fewer and fewer people grew up farming.
Translation: big opportunity for small towns.
Farming is different. Cows are interesting. Baby chicks are a marvel.
Visitors want to experience it, even for a little while. It’s different, and it’s fascinating.
Corollary: Stop trying to sell your small town like it’s a big city. Be who you are.
Small Town Tourism Action Item: Start planning your fall farm tour.
- Get four or five local farmers, orchards, ranchers, you-picks, what-have-you, to allow visitors on a special weekend this fall.
- Encourage them to plan special activities or fun that day.
- Put together a driving tour to the locations. Make a mobile friendly online version at Google Maps, and a printed paper one to hand out. Put the QR code and the short URL on the paper brochure.
- Talk to your local or regional CVB (if that’s not you). Ask them to help promote it.
- Pitch it to the nearest metro news.
- Do all the other things you know you need to do on an event.
- Report back. How did it go?
|Heading out for a pasture tour.|
And make sure the visitors get a chance to see some cows. Because people love cows.
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021