“But where does it all end?” That was the plaintive question of a student in one of my workshops on social media tools for marketing tourism. Bad news: It doesn’t.
|Photo by cole24_ on Flickr|
There is no finish line in tourism. There’s no place where you get to stop and say, “Boy, I’m glad we’re done with marketing. Now we can do all that other stuff we need to do!”
Instead, tourism marketing is an on-going project. Learning doesn’t stop. Not if you want to reach people.
See, your potential visitors are changing. People younger than you are traveling. They are more comfortable with different kinds of technology than you are. People older than you are traveling. And some of them are pretty darn technically savvy, too.
I know change moves fast, but I’m not convinced that it’s past our ability to keep up with our selected fields. If you continue to work at learning, you can do it. (I can feel a whole post coming, profiling people who are keeping at it, no matter their age…)
Two Resources for Keeping Up
Though we don’t have a finish line, we do have two resources to help you keep up with the trends in tourism marketing.
- Rural Tourism Marketing by Joanne Steele. Plenty to learn there for communities of any size.
- Tourism Currents: Social Media for Tourism. That’s me and Sheila Scarborough, and I think it’s a pretty amazing resource.
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021