It seems like people from big cities forget that small towns exist, and that we have the same technology tools and social networks. We are on Twitter, Facebook, and other online networks together, but we have different face-to-face networks. We don’t live the same lifestyle as big city people. We do business a bit differently. We are closing to the ground, so to speak. It’s time to have a conversation about technology among small town people.
Our businesses, media, education and more are being changed by the “state of now” instant communications. We want to share ideas and successes and failures with each other.
All of this played in to the creation of the 140 Characters Conference SmallTown event that will be in Hutchinson, Kansas, on November 1.
Jeff Pulver, founder of the 140 Conference series, explains why a small town will host the next 140Conference.
The Wichita Business Journal gave this event some great coverage on their site:
The best part of the event, McCray says, is the wide variety of people who come together with the common goal of learning more about how social media is shaping the business world.
“With that many industries, ideas cross-pollinate,” she says. “The resulting ideas are much cooler than what you came in with.”
And on Oklahoma Horizon, Rob McClendon gave a great pitch for the event. The Oklahoma Horizon crew will be there in Hutchison. (The pitch is after the interview.)
You don’t want to miss it. If you can find a way, get there. In fact, take $40 off your ticket by using 140disc as a discount code on the registration form. Students can sign up for free student passes. And if you are not a student, but you need a free pass, let me know on the contact form. I have a few general passes left.
On October 20, I’ll be speaking at the Detroit 140 Conference. I’d love to see you there, too.
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020