You have local traditions and things you take for granted; things that your visitors would love to be part of.
Here’s an example from outside Nassau, Bahamas, that could have been from your small town. In the evening, locals come out to the beach along Arawack Cay. They stroll, they feed the gulls, they sit in their cars and watch the ocean, and the old men play dominoes. I didn’t find this in any guide book. No one told me about it. We just happened to stroll into it, and felt the local small town feeling. It gave me a tiny insight into the real people who live there.
There’s an equivalent in your town. Something great that no one thinks about. Where do your locals get together? Think about walks in the park, kids sports where people still sit on blankets on the grass, concerts downtown, and the place where the old men play dominoes.
Here’s why it matters: if you can let your visitors be part of that local feeling, they will be better connected to your place. They will leave happier, and they are more likely to want to return.
Discussion question: what is your local version, and how can you help visitors feel a part of it?
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
Ken Burgin says
The MyMaps feature of Google Maps is a great way to show where they are and share info about what’s involved – even add a photo. Then the Map can be linked to from local businesses and info services….easy.
Becky McCray says
Ken, you’re right. Maps are another way to present your location at its best.
nick waters says
Great post! I don’t have an answer to the questions that you posed, but I am at least thinking about the opportunities now.
Becky McCray says