Rural and small town tourism is all about experiences. That is why you should steal this idea for your local tourism: Meet the locals in Jamaica.
[There are] about 300 ambassadors who volunteer with the Jamaica Tourist Board’s Meet the People program. Launched nearly 41 years ago, it arranges meetings between visitors and residents, basing the matches on shared occupations and interests.
- Hold a picnic “mixer” with locals and visitors.
- Connect visitors with local rodeo-ers for a riding or roping lesson.
- Recruit local boaters to take visitors out sailing.
- Introduce visiting business people to your local entrepreneurs.
- Turn a museum visit into a chance to talk with local history buffs.
- Connect visiting photographers with local hobbyists for a photo walk.
- Pair visiting teachers with local teachers.
- Recruit local traditional artists to give lessons to visitors.
- Invite visitors into local events. Let them participate and role play.
- Bring visitors out to the harvest fields.
Help your visitors remember their connection. Take lots of photos and videos for them to share.
Brainstorm ways to involve visitors in your community. How can you help them connect?
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022