Two new shop local ideas hit me this week.
1. Can you get your city utility on board? The City of Alva added this shop local message to their utility bills:
Support your local merchants – Shop Alva for the Holidays
Some cities and towns mail out larger bills in envelopes. They might even let you add a little message or flyer in the same envelope.
2. Ponca City, Oklahoma, has Santa Bucks. Meredith Willis told me about it on Twitter:
PCY has a Santa Bucks program where local stores give out tickets based on your purchases & a drawing is held with $ prizes. @meredithwillis
I know it’s working, because that same day I ran into a Ponca City resident, and she had a billfold stuffed with Santa Bucks tickets. She was eagerly awaiting that $5000 prize drawing!
What innovative Shop Local ideas have you seen?
Version 2.0 of our shop local guide is ready! See it at Shop Local Campaigns for Small Towns.
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021