Two new shop local ideas hit me this week.
1. Can you get your city utility on board? The City of Alva added this shop local message to their utility bills:
Support your local merchants – Shop Alva for the Holidays
Some cities and towns mail out larger bills in envelopes. They might even let you add a little message or flyer in the same envelope.
2. Ponca City, Oklahoma, has Santa Bucks. Meredith Willis told me about it on Twitter:
PCY has a Santa Bucks program where local stores give out tickets based on your purchases & a drawing is held with $ prizes. @meredithwillis
I know it’s working, because that same day I ran into a Ponca City resident, and she had a billfold stuffed with Santa Bucks tickets. She was eagerly awaiting that $5000 prize drawing!
What innovative Shop Local ideas have you seen?
Version 2.0 of our shop local guide is ready! See it at Shop Local Campaigns for Small Towns.
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019