As more rural people join social networks, small town business people are looking to build in person networks with their fellow social media users.
Chris Cornell shared his story in the Brag Basket:
I own and operate a small business (custom picture framing) in the Village of Pleasantville, NY. I’ve been attempting to build community through the use of social media for the past eight months. One of the tools I’ve used is my website http://TwitterProfessor.com, which has featured articles about individuals and organizations in the local community using Twitter and other forms of social media to communicate their message. Through TwitterProfessor, I’ve been able to build a network which has led to the formation of a social media group called Westchester140 (we’re on Facebook). This group organized the highly successful 1st and 2nd Westchester TweetUps (both were booked to capacity), and is now in the process of putting together the 3rd Westchester TweetUp (150 people are expected, and there will be a moderated panel of social media speakers).
The reason I am posting this (in addition to bragging) is to reach out to others who might be interested in discussing ways local groups can build community and promote businesses. If you are working on similar projects, and would like to exchange ideas, please feel free to contact me.
How are you reaching out to other social media folks in your small town? How are you building community?
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021